Friday, December 19, 2008

Chichi

I haven't written a lot in my Blog recently, because I feel there isn't a lot to write about.

We did end up visiting Chichi before we left Guatemala. It was a fun experience just because of the sheer size of the market, but like we had been forewarned, it was no different from any of the other markets we'd visited really. Of course there was a larger selection of most things, but nothing incredibly new or exciting. That's not to say I didn't really enjoy the trip, just that it wasn't anything new. Since we went on a Sunday, which was market day, there was a incredible number of people. All the way up to the church steps there were women selling flowers and and snacks, something I'm pretty sure only happens on Thursdays and Sundays.

I do have to say though, before heading out there we hadn't really seen any men dressed in indigenous outfits. I must say, I really like their outfits. Their shirts are not very different from the women, (home-spun fabric that is very colorful) and they have pants made out of the same material, accompanied by a cowboy hat. I've decided I really like the look. I didn't notice any younger boys wearing this outfit, only older men. Maybe it's getting outdated. I'm not sure. Either way the children definitely were very much a part of the whole experience selling goods and carrying huge sacks of things from place to place.

We got almost all of our Christmas shopping done for less than half the price. Though we were all completely exhausted by the end of the day, I was satisfied, because I got to go at all.

No comments: