Thursday, August 21, 2008

August 19

This morning we packed up from Peter and Sandra's house and drove to Silverthorne. We ate breakfast at the Sunshine Cafe, one of our favorite places in Summit County. We go there quite often on our way up skiing. They have a varied menu, even by our standards, so it's very good. After breakfast we drove to the trial head at the Eagle's Nest Wilderness and finished packing up all our bags. All three of us were slightly overweighted I think, and we took a very slow, but steady pace. Most of the hike to where we planned to camp was uphill with no break. The first couple of minutes I was really achy and I didn't really want to be there, but I got into a rhythm and after that it was all ok. One thing I really like about this area is that, at least up higher there are no Lodge Pole Pines, so the trees are actually all green instead of red from beetle kill.

I was definitely read to ditch the pack by the time we got to our chosen campground (meadow). After futzing around camp and pumping water we went exploring. I was really hyper for most of the afternoon (again. It's been a common occurrence lately) not such a good plan hiking because I kept tripping. We took a break in the evening, waiting for it to cool down so the bugs would go away. It eventually did cool down, and luckily for us, not as much as we anticipated, so we were plenty warm at night.

No comments: